020. Becoming Good Financial Role Models ft. Robin Taub
How do we become good financial role models for our kids?
If you’re like me, you may have grown up with a scarcity and fear-based mindset when it comes to money and finances. My mom was always living paycheck to paycheck, making sure my siblings and I had everything we needed, but there was never anything left afterwards. Growing up, I always found money to be something that was hard to get, and that it goes as fast as it comes. Even when we started to make more money as the years went on, I still had that lingering fear of ‘what if it’s not enough?’
This is why today’s conversation is SO important, our kids need to learn how to reframe their own beliefs about money too! If you're a parent, this is for you. If you’re thinking about becoming a parent, this episode is for you. And if you are somebody like me, who, when you weren't a parent, you didn't learn about money at home, this episode is for you.
Joining me on the show is Robin Taub, keynote speaker and award-winning author of The Wisest Investment: Teaching Your Kids to Be Responsible, Independent and Money-Smart for Life, an update of the bestselling A Parent’s Guide to Raising Money-Smart Kids.
Robin is obsessed with personal finance and investing. Using her financial background, and professional coaching training, she raised two responsible, independent mostly money-smart kids. Now, she helps other parents do the same!
We talk about:
- [0:00] Intro
- [7:20] Debunking stereotypes around accountants
- [11:50] The 5 pillars of money
- [14:10] Three strategies to teach your kids about money
- [15:20] Why it’s important to know what your values are with money
- [19:20] How to start financial healing
- [27:04] Tips to teach parents who are reluctant to money to teach their kids about it
- [39:00] How to shift from a scarcity mindset
- [47:50] How education around money and finances is changing in schools
- [57:30] Why you need to be accountable to your money
If this episode resonated with you, we'd love to hear from you, say hi on Instagram @shantellebisson, @withoutlosingyourcool, and for the love of all things cool, if you have a burning question you'd like answered, go to shantellebisson.com/podcast and leave us a message for your question to be featured on our upcoming episodes!
Share your takeaways on social media and tag us & subscribe+rate+leave us a review on Apple Podcasts and send us a screenshot of your review to be entered to win some cool prizes!
Until next time friends! Do the hard things, and show up like you mean it! Without Losing Your Cool!