Are we really still texting and driving folks? Really???

It astounds me how many times in a day I see people texting and driving. And I’m not talking at a red light, or a stop sign. Lord knows to my shame even I’m guilty of that. No. I’m talking driving along the freeway at 70mph, phone in front of their faces texting and DRIVING. All day long I see it. You know when it’s coming your way too. A driver speeds past you, changing lanes, making their presence known, then all of a sudden they slow WAY down and start weaving in their lane, breaking when it’s not necessary, becoming not only a nuisance but a danger.

It is UNBELIEVABLE to me that this is STILL taking place. Even with all the commercials about it, all the news reports, all the media coverage, the documentaries and the fact that it’s even taught in school. With all the information being presented to them, regularly, people still think that the incoming message is so bloody urgent that they simply cannot wait to look at it. To respond to it. To satisfy the urge of just needing to know RIGHT NOW what the person on the other end of the message needs to tell them.

For me it’s a total I CAN’T EVEN. I really cannot.

And I’m one of those wild bitches that honks at them, that waves my finger at them telling them to PUT DOWN THE PHONE. I do it 90% of the time when I see somebody handling their super urgent work/social business matter via their cell phone while operating a motor vehicle. The other 10% of the time when I don’t, when I can’t be bothered it’s because I feel like if you’re that stubborn, that you really think you “got this” and can manage the whole texting and driving thing, while traveling at a high rate of speed, then that’s cool, good for you. Also good for you if you don’t care if you die today. But you know what selfish, foolish person. I CARE IF I DIE TODAY. I CARE IF MY HUSBAND DIES TODAY. I CARE IF MY DAUGHTERS DIE TODAY all because you simply had to check your phone. Do me, and all of us a favor just pull over. That’s what I did earlier today. I was on an urgent time sensitive call that ended up being “interactive.” You know what I did? I pulled over, on the shoulder of the 101 freeway and finished my call. It added five extra minutes to my day, I still achieved all my things that were on my list of things to do, and I arrived alive.

In case you think you’re the invincible sort, here are some stats for you to chew on before you get behind the wheel tomorrow and text and drive all over again.

I grabbed these general stats off a Personal Injury Legal firm EDGAR SNYDER & Associates website. It came right up when I googled texting/driving stats. I figure if anybody knows how many accidents there are every year due to texting and driving it would be these sorta guys. Enjoy!

The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year.
Nearly 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.
1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
Texting while driving is 6x more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.
Answering a text takes away your attention for about five seconds. Traveling at 55 mph, that’s enough time to travel the length of a football field.
Texting while driving causes a 400% increase in time spent with eyes off the road.
Of all cell phone related tasks, texting is by far the most dangerous activity.
94% of drivers support a ban on texting while driving.
74% of drivers support a ban on hand-held cell phone use.

Now for my younger readers…

11 teens die every day as a result of texting while driving. EVERY DAY!
According to a AAA poll, 94% of teen drivers acknowledge the dangers of texting and driving, but 35% admitted to doing it anyway.
21% of teen drivers involved in fatal accidents were distracted by their cell phones.
Teen drivers are 4x more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near-crashes when talking or texting on a cell phone.
A teen driver with only one additional passenger doubles the risk of getting into a fatal car accident. With two or more passengers, they are 5x as likely.

These are just a few tidbits from one google search site. If you want to really get down and check more stats a great site isDISTRACTEDDRIVERACCIDENTS.COM

There is no shortage of proof that using your smart phone and driving is not smart at all. It is in fact the opposite of smart, it is flat out stupid, and judging by these stats if you continue to play Russian Roulette with your life, and the rest of our lives it’s not a matter of IF you crash into one of us, it is a matter of WHEN.

This has been a PSA.
Just put down the damn phone. We all thank you.